The Management Development and Productivity Institute (MDPI) is a subvented Agency under the Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations (MELR). The Institute was established on 26th October, 1967 under a joint Ghana Government, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and International Labour Organisation (ILO) Project. The MDPI replaced its forerunner, the National Productivity Centre (NPC) which had been established in June 1964 as part of the then Planning Commission. Legislative Instrument (LI) 1077 of 2nd July 1976 incorporated the MDPI as a parastatal. The Institute was formally handed over to the Ghana Government by the UNDP and ILO in 1977 when the joint sponsorship ended.